Clean, transparent elections are vital. The more eyes are on the election process, the more transparent it is, and the harder it is to cheat.
Your local GOP is working to add transparency and accountability to the election process in SD52 by asking one person per precinct to report the results of his or her precinct to the local GOP.
Every voter has a right to watch the election judges as they close the polls and do their accounting. (though not interfere, of course)
At the end of election day, election judges are supposed to post the results in a “public place” at the polling station, so the voters can easily see the results.
Unfortunately, it appears that not all election officials and judges are doing this, and we want to change that.
We need one voter per precinct in SD52 to do the following:
- Visit the polling place for your precinct as close to closing time (8 PM) as you feel comfortable voting without missing the closing time. (You can vote, too!)
- Tell the election judge that you want to see the results tape when they close up. They may give you a hard time. If they do, tell them to look at page 42 of the 2012 election judge guide. Item 4 in section 14.1 says “post one of them (tapes) for public viewing in the polling place”.
- Wait until they post the tape.
- Either copy down the results on the tape, or take a picture of it with a smart phone or digital camera.
- Email the information to: email@example.com as soon as possible. Tell us your precinct and your name along with the election results posted
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have questions.
Thank you very much!